In June, a month of much celebration, SHE offered tips for photographers; now SHE offers advice for amature models.
It can be daunting for women to face a camera if they aren’t professional models– and even professional models might occasionally have trouble getting truly comfortable.
But getting comfortable is only the first step: the real goal is to have fun, to love having your photo taken. That feeling will come through in your picture, your radiance, and natural smile.
What can you do to look and feel your best when someone is taking your picture?
- Wear something you love. Form fitting/flattering make the best choices. Neutral palettes with a splash of color work very well.
- In professional brand and identity creation, it’s smart to use your business colors (think your logo or website) in your outfit.
- Have your hair and make-up done by professionals who understand photography. SHE works with Teresa Song (Beauty By Teresa) and Lynn Yee, and the results are magical.
- Breathe. If you hold your breath, your pictures will show your discomfort. And, ladies, we all know that breathing is pretty vital to feeling good!
- Suzette Hibble, SHE founder, advises that you “fake it till you make it. Think of the friends or women you admire in front of the camera, the ones who always have that twinkle in their eye, that own the room. Embody those women, and fake it!”
“As the photographer I always ask my subject to invoke a desired emotion. “Show me you mean business”. “Flirt with me like I’m your man or some sexy creature across the room.” Yes, I get it feels weird…. But it works, and we love it.
SHE hopes that women can see themselves as other women see them, as SHE sees and captures them. Many women comment on the plethora of beautiful subjects in the SHE gallery and portfolio. And yes, these are beautiful women, but often they aren’t professional models: they are normal women wearing the perfect outfit, professionally made-up, feeling authentically connected to their photography session. These same women become the new faces on SHE’s website that others then make the same comment about.
The beauty is within all of us. You just need to feel comfortable and have fun. You need the right styling, and most of all: a kick ass photographer!